Saturday, August 15, 2009

Saturday, August 15

The morning after the storms that passed us by in Wisconsin, Ron told me a big branch had fallen in the campground. I believed it, those winds were just unbelievable. We just stayed one night at the county campground because we had a reservation at the famcamp at the Great Lakes Naval base.

So, we started off from the campground and were driving down the road, when Ron asked me if Hwy 31 looked like a good road to go down. Before I had a chance to answer, he had gone right by it. Well, the answer was yes, so our next problem was where to turn around and not get stuck. Those rural roads are very narrow and it's hard to find a place wide enough. Ron decided to turn left onto a residential road, before noticing that it was a dead end street. I saw it as soon as he turned, but, it was too late. So, we're driving down the road and when we came to the end, we thought we had enough room to turn around...we didn't. We even tried backing up the toad, with me sitting in the Jeep helping with the wheel...that didn't work either, in fact, it made it worse.

We ended up having to take the entire set up off the Jeep before we could unhook. We then got all turned around and got hooked up once again. I told Ron that I didn't want to have to deal with that again anytime soon!

As we continued down south towards the campground, I had the directions coming from interstate 94, but, I figured, how hard can it be to get there?... yeah, well, the gates don't have numbers, so we had no idea where we were going. We found out later, we passed right by the correct gate, but, didn't know it. We must have wandered around for about an hour trying to figure out where the base campground was. Then, we had to find a place to turn around, which isn't easy being in a congested area. We finally got the right directions and then, another problem, not being able to turn on the correct road because of road construction. What to do??? Well, we turned down another street, but, found out that even though it ended at the same road, we were too far down to go where we needed to go, because there was no left turn allowed. Ron was going to do it anyway, but, the traffic wouldn't cooperate. We finally got going in the right direction and went down to the gate we needed to go in, just to be told we couldn't come in because our window stickers were expired and they wouldn't let us in just on his I.D. card. So, turn around again and back to the visitor's center to get them updated.

I had about had it by this time, as it was hot and sticky and I just wanted to get settled into the campground and relax. But, we went where they told us to go and finally got the stickers. Back the gate where they let us in. Next thing, follow the directions to the campground, which were wrong....we cruised through the main part of the base until we could get turned around and go the right way. Finally, we got to the campground. Sheesh!!

It is so beautiful, situated as it is right on the lake, (Lake Michigan, that is). I had fully expected it to be full and it wasn't. We walked around a bit, there are rocks along the lakeshore right in front where the famcamp is. But, as I was taking pictures, I noticed a beach for wading and went down to it and put my feet into the water. BRRR!! That water is cold, just as cold as the Pacific Ocean! I was surprised, but, it still felt good.

No comments: