Saturday, June 20, 2009

Saturday, June 20th

First of all, I want to wish all the fathers out there, Happy Father's Day!!! We have left the Snake River and are now staying north of Spokane, WA in the little town of Elk. I wouldn't even call it a little town, more like a post office, a VFW hall, a church, a community center and rural neighbors. We are staying with Richard & Carol Lamb on their son's property. We got here on Monday and on the way into town, we stopped at a rest area where they were offering hot coffee and homemade cookies and muffins. You wouldn't find something like that in California, that's for sure. The local Senior Center mans it every day for the travelers, and different seniors work it every day. What's nice about that is the older people get a chance to get out of their house and meet the travelers passing by.

I have some pictures of our last day on the Snake River. There was an osprey nest on top of the bridge that I wanted Ron to get with his zoom lens, so I hope it comes out okay. I talked to our friends today and apparently a bald eagle came and took one of the osprey chicks and one of the adults tried to fight it off. She has only seen one adult since, so the eagle may have killed him in the attempt. I hope the lone osprey chick makes it to adulthood.

No comments: