Wednesday, July 27, 2011

A few days after they left, some more good friends, Gene & Kathy, also came up to stay a couple of days. They also live in Yuma, and were on their way to Des Moines, IA, to visit family and friends and to attend a wedding. It's always nice when friends come to visit us, we love it!

Last week, we took a drive to some places close by that we'd heard about. The first place is called the Double Eagle Trading Post. This is, by far, is the most authentic trading post I've seen, by that I mean, one that most closely resembles what the old original ones used to look like. But, darn it, I didn't take a picture of the inside, but, I can describe it to you. It had hides of all sorts of the big animals, stuffed heads on the walls of moose, bison, elk and deer of all kinds, stuffed animals such as fox, coyote, wolf, squirrel, rattle snakes and birds. There were also fox tails for sale, as well as other hides of rabbit, coyote, wolf, and other ones I can't even guess at. There were also authentic rawhide or deerhide beaded jackets made by some of the Indians of the area, beautiful work went into some of them. The only other one I'd like to visit is the Hubbell Trading Post up on the Navajo Nation near Window Rock. I did manage to take pictures of the outside...

No comments: