Sunday, September 26, 2010

Sunday, Sept 26th

Hi all, sorry it has taken me so long to get back to this blog. We've been busy and on our off days have just been vegging. We finished our half day week and our full 10 hour a day week. Tomorrow we'll start our second full week. The work itself is easy, just repetitious. But, the toll on the body is tough, standing for 9 1/2 hours a day is not fun, my back hurts after awhile and my feet start hurting too. Friday, several times, I thought of going to medical for some Tylenol for my back, (it hurt even with the back brace on) and Biofreeze to put on my arm. But, I managed to just go on and pretty soon, the pain went away.

More than once, I think, "what are we doing here, putting our bodies through all this at our age?" But, the money is good and our camping fees are being paid. But, yesterday, my hands kept going numb and today, they are still stiff. I bought some new shoes called Sketchers Shape-Ups. They are the oddest feeling shoes, they "rock" back and forth and the heel really isn't hitting the ground. It's hard to explain if you don't already know about them, but, as the literature says, it simulates walking on sand. It's a good workout for the hamstrings and calf muscles. I talked to a friend last night and she told me to start wearing them exclusively for a week and even though my legs are really going to be hurting, to tough it out and after the week is up, I'll start realizing how comfortable the shoes are and my leg muscles will be stronger. It really benefits the back in the end, and I'm all for no backaches after being on my feet all day. So, I, personally, will give it about a month and see how I feel after that. If I think I can't take it no matter how long we're here, I may stop, or go part time. Ron seems to be doing fine so far. He has "graduated" to a position called a "water spider". Don't ask me where they get these names because it has nothing to do with water. He goes around and restocks our boxes that we are using and the thing he likes about it is he's walking, instead of just standing in one spot all day. The downside is he's not near any fans, but, as the weather is cooling around here, that might not be a big deal.

Speaking of the weather, two days ago it was in the low 90's, today it's in the mid 60's! Sheesh, what happened to gradual weather changes...so, today, we have the heater on. Tomorrow, should be about 7 degrees warmer and then by Tuesday, the temps will be perfect, in the high 70's. I am ready for more moderate temperatures, even though we've heard from co-workers that it is always warm back where we work. That's okay, warm is good, just as long as it doesn't get overly hot, like it did earlier this week. I was sweating even though I had a fan on my back!

The other nice thing about this weekend? We did not have to work overtime!!! Apparently, at the beginning of the week, we were backlogged on orders big time, by Thursday, we were way down, and everyone's overtime was cancelled, I'm sure the regular workers were thrilled to find that out. Looks like the added numbers of workampers coming in helped tremendously, for which I am glad. I would like it if overtime didn't start up again until sometime in October, only because I would like to get a little more acclimated to standing all those hours before adding one more 10 hour day to my schedule.

No new pictures to post because after standing on our feet all day during working hours, I just don't feel like walking around town to take pictures of all the murals. But, maybe as I get more used to being on my feet, I'll be out and about more often. For now, we have Wed, Sat & Sun off, but, if overtime starts up again, we'll be working Sundays.

No comments: